January 7, 2013

Who’s Who – Julian Family Fiddle Camp 2013

Howdy Campers!

While comparatively early, the number of committed registrants for the April 2013 Julian Family Fiddle Camp is simply unprecedented.  You know who you are, but what I ask now is that you let others coming to the Camp know a bit about yourself (e.g., where you’ll be coming from, what instrument(s) you play, how long, and what you hope to get out of the Camp), and that you do it by posting something here.  I’ve added below the introductions posted earlier by some of our instructors (i.e.,  Jane Frey, Avery Merritt and Yaniv Salzberg), and ask you to post yours.  Ultimately, your introductions here help us get a jump-start on creating the camaraderie and encouraging atmosphere that hallmark the Julian Family Fiddle Camp – an atmosphere that inclines all to take more musical risk and, as a result, get the most out of the whole Camp experience.

THANKS!

Avery Ellisman

1. Jane Frey | November 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM EST

Howdy, Y’all!

I’m looking forward to my third JFFC, reconnecting with friends and making new ones. I’ll be teaching the Beginner-mediate class with Avery Merritt and I can’t wait!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jane Frey

2. Avery \”The Younger\” Merritt | November 19, 2012 at 03:43 AM EST

Allo!

I’m very excited for what will definitely another great camp. I’ll be working with the Beginner-mediate fiddle students along with Jane Frey, and I’m sure everyone will have a blast! I also can’t wait to break out the electric fiddle (and yes, EVERYONE is more than welcome and certainly encouraged to try it.)

Have a great Thanksgiving, and see you all in April!

~Avery Merritt

3. Yaniv Salzberg | November 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM EST
We (I and Katie Glassman) are very excited to join you all this year at camp. Can’t wait for the fun to begin. See you soon in California!–Yaniv

Comments:

1. Adam Hurt | January 07, 2013 at 05:48 PM EST

Happy new year to all who will be involved with the Julian Family Fiddle Camp this spring! I am really looking forward to teaching intermediate/advanced clawhammer banjo at camp, and to joining everyone in the week’s merriment. I live in North Carolina, and am keenly anticipating an interesting change of scenery at what promises to be a beautiful time of year for making music in southern California! In the meantime, if any of you have questions about my classes or my role in the camp otherwise, please do not hesitate to get in touch through my website, www.adamhurt.com.

Cheers,

Adam Hurt

2. Mike Crivello | January 07, 2013 at 09:33 PM EST

Looking forward to my first bluegrass camp. Just started playing bluegrass guitar in August 2012, regularly attend Walt Richard’s and Janet Beazley-Chris STuart’s Jams, and have been learning from the Academy of Bluegrass site from Bryan Sutton. I hope to improve techniques for flat picking and melody/solo playng, and being able to contribute to a bluegrass jam. Perhaps someday I’ll be able to take the stage at Fuddrucker’s Tuesday night Bluegrass Jam! I look forward to learning from everyone at the camp (and feasting on Julian apple pie…)

3. Connie Moxness | January 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM EST

My husband and I are coming to the camp for the first time. He plays bass and guitar. I play banjo. We signed up as soon as I learned that Adam Hurt would be an instructor. Looking forward to the opportunity to improve my playing and to visiting the area for the first time.

4. Bob Carpenter | March 10, 2013 at 09:19 AM EDT

I’m very excited to be attending my first \”Band Camp\” ever. It’s like reliving my youth! I’m 52, live in Escondido and I’ve been playing the stand up bass for about a year and a half. I play in the Rattlesnake Creek Old Time String Band and dabble with some other projects too. I hope to learn a lot more about my bass at the Fiddle Camp and improve my playing.

5. Candy Regel | March 10, 2013 at 04:15 PM EDT

I am a local from Ramona (let’s just say I’m over 30),and will be a first time \”Band Camper\” also.I play rhythm guitar for Rattlesnake Creek and do vocals for The Parkside Ramblers.I’m a lover of Bluegrass from my years in Kentucky and want to learn flatpicking.I’ll be bringing my fiddle to learn beginner skills.I can hardly wait to be immersed in traditional music with like-minded folks for four days-WOW!

6. Judy Keehn | March 11, 2013 at 05:28 PM EDT

Being a person who has loved playing the fiddle off and on again over the past 20 years, I’m really looking forward to the music camp. I’m hoping it will inspire me to at last dedicate some quality practice time and overcome the bad habits I’ve acquired along the way. I hear the past camps have been very good!

7. Jon Mills | March 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM EDT

I am a 58 year old retired firefighter and started working on the fiddle as a retirement hobby about 2 years ago. This is my first time at a camp such as this and to tell the truth . . . it’s a bit scary. Since I am self taught I realize that my progress has not been as quick as if I had had an instructor, but there is no time like the present to jump in. I hope everyone is real patient with me. I do look forward to meeting everyone.

8. Scott Crone | March 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM EDT

Hi All,

I live in Oceanside.

I’ve been playing mandolin for a bit over a year now and am really enjoying the music and fellowship of the acoustic community. I’ve taken on the role of an \\\”organizer\\\” for a bluegrass meet-up group.

I’ve been to several workshops but this is my first Camp. Really looking forward to focused instruction and having fun while learning..hopefully taking my playing abilty to the next level..whatever that may be!

See you all soon!

Scott

9. Fred Burris | March 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM EDT

Hello everyone, looking forward to our second year at camp. Our Daughters Merilee 17 and Trulee 11 are the fiddlers. They really enjoy fiddle music most of their tunes are Celtic style. They know some Cape Bretton tunes but still remember the tunes they learned from last years camp. They’ve ben playing for a little over two years we love their fiddle music music filling our house. We’ll be bringing our shorts and our snow boots just in case.

10. Jack Appel | March 26, 2013 at 01:06 AM EDT

Hi All.

This will be my 2nd camp. I had a blast last year. Started out playing old time fiddle, then went over to the classical thing for a few decades. Lately I`ve been getting back to my \”roots\” and really looking forward to this year`s camp and learning some cool things and meeting folks. See you at the camp.

Jack

11. Michael Metcalf | March 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM EDT

Happy Campers

I’m a fiddler from San Clemente and I need a ride to Julian (but not back from Julian.)

I could meet you in Oceanside, or another North County town, or even SD Wednesday morning. I would be more than happy to pay for gas.

Can anyone help me out and give me a lift?

12. Gina Crivello | March 27, 2013 at 06:37 AM EDT

Hello everyone, I’m a So Cal native but have lived in England for the past 10 years. I had to go all the way to England to discover Old Time American music, and a year ago I started taking clawhammer banjo lessons and eventually joined in (rather nervously) my local monthly jam session. I had planned a trip to visit my family for Easter and was delighted to discover this music camp. I’m feeling very brave having signed up on my own, but looking forward to learning and enjoying. See you soon, Gina

13. Gina Crivello | March 27, 2013 at 06:43 AM EDT

Hi again, this is Gina. I still have no clue how I’m going to make it to the camp, since I’m car-less (so un-southern californian). I am staying with family in Riverside/Hemet area and will try to get a ride into San Diego. If I make it San Diego, would anyone have space in their car/trunk (I will have my banjo + one big luggage). I would be happy to pay for part or all of the cost of gas as a thank you. I don’t think I’ll have a working phone, but my email is: ginacrivello1@yahoo.co.uk. Alternatively, any advice or info on ‘public’ transportation into Julian would be most welcomed. Thanks, Gina

14. Liz Herrick | March 27, 2013 at 02:37 PM EDT

Howdy,

I grew up playing classical violin (1st-12th grade) – so while I’m a bit rusty (yike, it’s been 30 years!) and new to improvisation, I’m itchin’ to learn how to fiddle! I also got myself a mandolin for Christmas and look forward to playing it, as well. I’m excited to meet everyone and play until my fingers hurt!

Liz

15. Melanie Klar | March 28, 2013 at 01:31 AM EDT

My story is the same as Liz’s! I’m 40 something, Played classical growing up, took too many years off and now I am loving fiddling and being off the page! I don’t know anyone but I make friends easily! I am looking forward to it!

16. Roger E. Taylor | April 04, 2013 at 02:22 PM EDT

Yes, this will be fun. I’m a singing finger picker guitarist, play harmonica and piano too. (I tuned and rebuilt pianos a long time ago, built a professional recording studio in 1977, recorded an album.) Time flies. I still play occassional gigs and love acoustic, traditional music. From Rock and Roll to Folk, I have played music my whole life, professioally and semi-professionally, and have never had the privilege of a music camp. I look forward to learning new stuff, meeting new people and making great music.

17. Kim Donaldson | April 04, 2013 at 05:38 PM EDT

Hello everyone. I see few familiar names so I am sure we will have a great time. I play fiddle and clawhammer banjo. Fiddle is my first instrument. I am excited to learn some more about clawhammer. When I heard that Evan Marshall and Katie Glassman were going to be here I couldn’t miss the opportunity to attend. I can’t get over what top notch professionals we are going to have. Avery did a fantastic job. I play in a few local bands and jam at a few circles as well. I am looking forward to the event. I wouldn’t mind learning a little flatfooting as well.

18. Nina Weisman | April 07, 2013 at 02:48 PM EDT

Hi Everyone,

I’m very excited to participate in the camp this year! I’ve been hearing about it for a couple of years and I’m looking forward to lots of picking, meeting new friends, and exploring the area! There will be so many interesting things going on, I think I’ll wish I could be in 3 places at once.

See you all soon!

Nina

19. Rebecca Stout | April 07, 2013 at 04:04 PM EDT

Howdy Folks,

Just got home from an awesome road trip down part of historic Route 66 with my 6 year-old daughter, Mary. We made a stop in new Orleans to pick up some gorgeous new dance boards made by a master woodworking friend of mine there. I’m so excited to come show them off and teach all interested parties how fun flatfoot dancing can be!

I’ll be driving from Los Angeles Wednesday morning and have plenty of space in my station wagon if anyone would like to carpool.

Till we meet,

Rebecca

20. Bob Bosche\’ | April 07, 2013 at 07:56 PM EDT

I’m from Mission Viejo, and have been playing fiddle for about a year, mostly with the Thursday Night Pickers jam in Encinitas each week, plus a four-person fiddle/mando/guitar practice group, and participated in a few other jams and events throughout San Diego & Orange Counties. Fiddle Camp will be the first real training I’ve attended, and I am looking forward to having fun and taking my playing to the next level.